domingo, 5 de mayo de 2013

Tricky prepositions!

English prepositions are tricky ones! 

Have you ever asked yourself which preposition to use?



Well, I am talking about the usage of "to" and/or "in" in this specific example;



I have  gone to Paris (I am still in Paris)

I have been to Paris (I have already come back!)

I have been in Paris for/since... (a precise moment)


So, we use "in" when we are going to say the amount of time or a point in time using "for" or "since".




For + an amount of time

Since + a point in time (until now, you cannot say the finish)

E.g.  I've been in Paris for three years now.

       He's been in Paris for the last 3 days so you can't have seen him in London.
       She's been in Paris since 1989 so she thinks she's a Parisienne!


I hope it helps! If you have any questions, just let me know! 


Here you have a link for you to practise:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario