viernes, 14 de noviembre de 2014

Spanglish


Spanglish

Many people who are learning a new language often make mistakes. As Lewington (2012) refers, these mistakes are the combination of literal translations, misinterpretation and the use of false friends.

Spanglish refers to the mix of Spanish and English used by people who speaks parts of the two languages, or whose native language is different from that of the country where they live. The Hispanic population in the United States and the British population in Argentina use varieties of Spanglish.

 Lewington offers a selection of the most common Spanglish errors:

 As you want* (como quieras) - up to you 

Every day more* (Cada vez más) - more and more

 For me it is the same* (para mi es lo mismo) - I don’t mind

For the moment* (hasta ahora) - so far

I explain you* (te explico) - let me explain 

I prefer don’t go* (prefiero no ir) - I would rather not go

In the actually* (en la actualidad) - currently

 It’s his election* (es su elección) - it’s up to him

 It was a casuality* (fue una casualidad) - it was a coincidence

 Stay in form* (estar en forma) - keep fit

Two millions* (dos millones) - two million

All is okay* (todo está bien) - all is fine

Arrive to home* (llegar a casa) - get home

 As always* (como siempre) - as usual

At the end* (al final) - in the end

 I like a lot that* (me encanta) - I love it

I have the reason* (tengo la razón) - I’m right

First plate* (primer plato) - starter

Second plate* (segundo plato) - main course

Touristic* (Adj; having the quality of a tourist) - touristy (Adj; visited by throngs of tourists)

Two hours and a half* (dos horas y media) - two and a half hours

 The problem is other*(el problema es otro) - that is not the main problem



Lewington, R. (2012). Common Mistakes In English Made By Spanish Speakers. (2nd Ed.)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario